viernes, 7 de diciembre de 2012

Essay #4 – Should Animals be kept in Zoo?


Introduction

Should animals be kept in Zoos? I believe that animals should be allowed to enjoy their own natural habitat and live with their family freely, not trapped behind bars and cages. I do not agree that animals should be kept in zoos. Most people go to the zoo purely for entertainment and I strongly believe that animals were not created for that purpose only. Zoos claim to educate people to preserve species, a lot of animals are trapped in cages and also animals are forced to live in climates they are not adapted to.

 Zoos teach people that it is acceptable to keep animals in captivity, bored, cramped, lonely, and far from their natural homes. But, sometimes they are suffering from more lack of care in some zoos. Most zoo enclosures are quite small, and labels provide lack of information, diet, and natural range. Animals’ normal behavior is occasionally discussed, much less observed, because their natural needs are seldom met. Zoo visitors usually spend only a few minutes at each display, seeking entertainment rather than education.
 
In my opinion, they shouldn't be kept in zoos. They were born in the wilderness and should live and die in this environment. They should make their homes/nests in natural places just as we have made our houses and suburbs and cities. It's absurd to think that we should be so pompous to pick and choose animals out of the wild to lock in cages for people to come by and look at. I mean, just because we're higher on the food chain, we think we can do whatever we want with the planet and its many non-human inhabitants.
 
A lot of animals caged in zoos are taken out of their natural environment and climate. One good example of this is a polar bear. Polar bears are animals that are used to sub-zero temperatures and putting them in a place like San Diego Zoo, where the temperature can reach well into the 90 degrees is cruel. For an animal like the elephant, however, it is the opposite. These animals are often forced to live in climates they are not adapted to or even capable of adapting.

During my childhood, I visited the Bolivar Park Zoo, and I did not use to think twice about how the animals must feel trapped in those small cages. But now as I am learning more about freedom and free will to choose to live how I wish, I am forced to take a step back and look at these caged animals. I realize these animals have the same desire for freedom that I do. Putting myself in their shoes, I have also come to realize that caging animals for entertainment is wrong.

 

3 comentarios:

  1. Luis,

    Your point of view about this topic is well-defined in this essay.

    Regards,

    Prof. Krissia

    ResponderEliminar
  2. In some ways I think they should, they'll be safe until they can reproduce more of that certain spices. But then you've said that if they lose their abilities to hunt and surviving they could easily be slain by other predators and that'll decrease the numbers.I found this great piece of information while doing research for my essay about why animals should not be kept in zoos essay. How do you train an animal to be wild again after they've been tamed? You basically can't win on this argument because both sides have disadvantages.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Thanks for sharing such a informative content with users about Animal Cages. To get more details visit our website.

    ResponderEliminar